Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sea Glass Mobile

I live near one of the Great Lakes. One of my favorite things to do is to go to the beach and look for sea glass. It is so relaxing to hear the crash of the waves and feel the breeze and the thrill of finding a piece of glass tops it off. I saw a Martha Stewart segment where they made a mobile like this and knew that I had to try making one. 

I used driftwood for the base and braided fishing line to tie around the pieces of glass. To hang the mobile I used hemp because it looks pretty natural. The best tip is to use a brush on krazy glue to make sure your knots don't loosen and secure the glass. I also used a pair of tweezers when pulling the knots tight. I laid out all my glass before attaching them to the string to make sure the placement was good. The project took longer than I expected but was well worth it! I love it! I have mine hanging in front of my bay window in my family room.


Notice the two pieces of glass on the far left in the middle. They are purple!!! I found them earlier in the morning before making this project. I've never found purple before :) My favorite are the light aqua blues, it has always been my favorite color because it is so peaceful.

4 comments:

  1. this is so fun! i love it. I am amazed by your quilt to! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you secure the sea glass? Just by tying knots???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tied double knots and then used super glue on the knot. The super glue that has a brush works the best. When you are tying the knots it is sometimes handy to have a pair of tweezers to get a better grip on the fishing line.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! It makes me wish I lived close to an ocean and could go hunt for sea glass.

    ReplyDelete